Friday, December 28, 2007

Jeremiah's post: Defining Online Community

As I have become more entrenched in social media over the last few months, I have experienced some fairly impressive social networking moments. Most of events have been wide-sweeping with major buzz to boot, others have been...I guess what you would call little online whispers - very little conversations but the content is extremely important to me.

Some of my non-work related social networking highlights include: receiving an endearing "pay it forward" compliment on facebook; being part of Beth Kanter's amazing efforts with the help of Chris Brogan to raise enough money ($10/contributor) within 24 hours to send a Cambodian woman, Leng Sopharath, to college; helping the fight against breast cancer through Frozen Pea Fridays: experiencing bumrushing the charts for Joseph Jaffe's Join The Conversation; having my nieces and nephew choose to friend me on MySpace and Facebook, being interviewed by Kim Dushinski for her soon-to-be released mobile marketing book; and, yet another moment today with Jeremiah.

This morning Jeremiah set out to define "online community" through a posting on his Web Strategy blog, followed up with twitter dialogue and blog conversation. He is asking the community to hone in on its self-defined term until the definiton "online community" melds into that which it is...real-time.

Community sourcing at its finest.

I'm looking forward to this community-made and endorsed "online community" definition to be posted on wikipedia.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zena:

I'm so honored that you were part of the effort to help Leng Sopharath! I really appreciate it! (BTW, she's Cambodian!:-)

You might be interested in this
http://americagivingchallenge.wikispaces.com/

Weist Family said...

Thanks for the post, Beth. I'll update Leng's nationality in my original post. Thanks for the link.

Happy '08!

Anonymous said...

Zena:

He he he .. just saw that you imported this post to Facebook .. and I clicked over the comment - and forgot I already commented! Holiday sluggishness .

Anyway, you rock!!

Check out this wonderful story about this wired cambodian who is helping
http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2008/01/intergeneration.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for featuring me!

I really believe in being a practitioner of the tools that I analyze.

I also recognize how crowdsourcing can enhance my research process, so far, it's been productive.